Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Simplicity....To Me is...

I've been reading up alot this week on living the simple life. I find that the majority of the suggestions made in these books, I am already doing. However, I need something more. I am currently searching for my own idea of simplicity and I'm not sure if I'll ever find it. But to be completely happy and completely at peace would be boring. So at least while I am searching for what I want in life, I am enjoying the scenery!

I think I need to define what simple living means to me, so here it is.

FRUGALITY: A big part of simple living is being frugal. Which to me, means, shaking off material goods. Getting rid of the wants and living with and being happy with the NEEDS in life. I have been able to alter my perceptions of what I want recently. I am learning to be happy with having my NEEDS met with ease and in altering this perception, the wants are seeming to disappear. I think I have always taken the NEEDS for granted. My needs have always been met so easily that I have never had to worry about how I am going to make the house payment, electric or gas payment or even put food on the table for my kids. After going through a period of not knowing exactly how the food was going to be bought, gave me such an appreciation for just having my needs met, that I no longer want the WANTS! That new pair of shoes that I want (don't need, already have several pairs in the closet) just doesn't become that important. So living simply & frugally to me, means passing up the wants in life and also being smart about buying the needs in life (see post about grocery budget!)

INNER SIMPLICITY: This is an area that I have a massive struggle with. I know how to achieve inner peace (so to speak). I know what calms my body, mind and soul. It is just a matter of finding the time to take care of these needs. This is an area I plan to focus on, ALOT...and very soon. Being a stay at home mom severely limits my time alone, which is what I need to achieve inner tranquility. It is easy enough for people to say (as I read in these books) take a long walk, commune with nature, yoga, meditation...all of these are great for inner simplicity. But if you have a preschooler tagging along behind you while you are communing with nature...all is lost. Instead of listening to your own thoughts of tranquility, you will hear that little voice behind you saying...there's too many bugs...I hate being outside...or the ever popular, I have to go pee! (and of course, there is no bathroom in site!) So I plan to begin getting up 30 minutes before the kids starting this week and spend that time in quiet reflection, either through meditation or even just taking my cup of coffee out onto the patio and listening to the birds and watching them at the feeders.

SIMPLE HOME: I have already started the de-cluttering process. I have about 5 more stages to go through, until I will be happy with the material items we have shed. I want to be at peace with my home. I want to feel tranquil in it, not trapped by all of the stuff that we have. And right now, that is exactly how I feel. I feel trapped by knick-knacks and toys and books and clothes and shoes and closets full of junk! I know I will have a better feeling of peace when I have more open space in my home.

TRANSPORTATION: Our mustang is gone, as of today. So we are down to one family car and add to that the fact that hubby has a work truck. I am doing my best to only drive the car once a week and that is to get groceries, becuase they just won't fit in the bike trailer. Otherwise, when I make trips to the library, bank, misc. stores, post office or to pick up kids from school...I am either riding my bike or walking. For some reason, this gives me peace. I guess I know I am saving a ton of money on gas, while getting my exercise and showing my kids that driving isn't always necessary, just because you have a car in the driveway!

ACTIVITES: Does simplicity mean doing less? I don't believe so. To me, simplicity, means freeing up time in your life to do the things that you enjoy doing. I enjoy baking and cooking, so why should I follow the advice of authors and give up cooking healthy, inexpensive meals in favor of feeding my family something microwaved to save myself and hour of time! I am freeing up that time to do what I enjoy, so I should do it. I also plan to join the PTA this year at my son's school. I may or may not volunteer for committees, I will have to wait and see if anything actually appeals to me. I will not be bullied into saying yes to anything! But these are the things that I have wanted to do and when I was working full time, I did not have the time for. That is WHY I am simplifying my life. To spend more time with my kids. To enrich their lives as well as mine!

I think for now, that is where I will end my defining of simplicity. I will be using this as my own guide as I go along to be sure I don't go off track. However, I also believe that my ideas of simplicity may be re-writen as I go. This is about me and my family living the life that is best for us. It may take us a few drafts to get where we want to be, we just have to remember to enjoy the story!

No comments: