Friday, September 7, 2007

Giving back for fulfillment

Part of what my life has been lacking lately is a sense of self-satisfaction, that I am actually contributing to the world beyond my family. I felt that I needed to do something more, but where do you start? I have spent the last several weeks looking for volunteer opportunities, only to be turned away from most volunteer agencies because I have my 3 year old son with me during the day. Most of the agencies locally, are desperate for volunteers, but just wouldn't even consider letting me help while Josh was with me. Go figure...no wonder they can't find volunteers, they are turning them away at the door!

After weeks of searching, I have finally found a few options. Number 1) I'm joining the PTA. I didn't do it last year becuase I didn't have the time. Not only will I be "helping" the school, but I can volunteer for projects within the school to help the kids. Number 2) Starting a SAHM's group locally. Okay, not actually volunteering...but in a sense it fits the same category. I am working to better our community by providing a group for moms (and SAH Dad's) to connect and share experiences and time with their kids. Number 3) I have volunteered with Meals on Wheels! Right now, I am doing one day a week and will do routes on a sub basis, when they need me! They didn't bat an eye at the fact that Josh was with me. The route I have includes the assisted living apartments for the elderly, and the LOVE seeing Josh each week! So it actually worked in my favor to have Josh with us. We were told by one of the ladies this last week, that they all look forward to Wednesdays, so they can see Josh! Which I think is adorable. Number 4) our alderman is suppose to be working on projects around our ward, so I plan to volunteer with his group, since Christine and I were unable to find volunteers for our counter project.

So although these projects are not exactly simplifying my life, they are enriching it beyond anything I expected. I feel a great sense of pride that I am doing more for my community than I had before. Plus, with all the simplifying exercises I have done recently, I have freed up time to do these things that I have wanted to do for so long.

So the lesson here, even if you are simplifying your life: you don't need to give up the things you want to do! If you want to volunteer...GO AHEAD and do it. But stick to the things that you want to do and don't feel obligated to do anything more! Once you feel an obligation to a cause, and you say yes becuase you feel you have to, you might think of scaling back your volunteer work to what you want to do, or find something different altogether!

No comments: