Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I need to stop the Cat-on-Bird violence!

Okay, so this isn't exactly a living simple post today...more of my random thoughts!

Cat on Bird Violence
Part of my "simple living" idea was to slow down and enjoy nature more. So, I went out and bought some more birdfeeders for our yard. The boys and I love to watch the birds out the front windows while we are sitting and eating breakfast. And we usually have tons of them out there! Of course, one built a nest in the tree above the driveway and keeps pooping on the truck, but what can you do....sometimes you have to make sacrifices!

I really love the birds and don't want to get rid of the feeders, especially right before winter, when they are going to need them. My problem is this, I came out the front door this morning and found another dead bird on the doorstep. I won't go into details, but it didn't die of natural causes...I am pretty sure that our cat got it. The cat is an indoor/outdoor cat and is miserable inside all night. He meows and whines until I let him out. So keeping him indoors is not an option! I feel so bad for those poor birds, I need to find a way to solve this! The feeders are high enough off the ground, so I am sure the cat is not getting them up in the tree. His fat butt is too huge to actually climb the tree!

Mom Stuff
Other than that, this week is good. We have meet the teacher night tonight at school, so I am excited to see my son's classroom and volunteer for class stuff! I also had an interview with the local paper this morning to do an article on my SAHM's group. I am really excited about the group and the article and I hope it turns out well! The group is starting some events to get us mom's out of the house more, so I am excited about that too.

With the exceptions of those things, we are having a nice quiet week. I am volunteering to make bags for Jake's teacher's bag-o-books program, so I hope she accepts the offer. It will give me something to do this week and make the program special for the kids. Right now, they are to bring their books home in ziploc bags! YUCK! My mom is going to help me make totes for the kids out of dollar fabric, and we plan on making a whole bunch for each kid and enough so that if some get lost, she can give the kids a new one.

Kid Stuff
Still having a problem with bed wetting in my three year old. Not quite sure what I am going to do about it. I know he will grow out of it eventually, I'd just love for it to be sooner than later. It seems like we are doing the right things, and he goes through phases where he is fine, then it starts again. I make sure he doesn't have any drinks too close to bedtime, and I make sure he uses the potty right before bed. I'm not sure what else to do, short of waking him up in the middle of the night to go potty. I can't put him in pull-ups at this point, becuase I think it will set him back...he is at a pivital point of big boy vs. little boy stuff!

My oldest is still not wanting to eat his sandwiches at school, so I tried a different approach today. I gave him half of a bagel and cream cheese sandwich, which i know he loves, so hopefully, he will eat it all!

Family Stuff
So, I finally have a date for a garage sale! Yippee, it isn't for another month, but that gives me more time to de-clutter and add some stuff to the pile! We are eating healthier as a family, and my kids are great. We had salads with dinner last night, and my 6 year old ate every single bite of his salad and asked for more, and had a second helping of corn! I might be onto something here, with that.

Community/Political Stuff
I am trying very hard not to be sucked back into the whole Alderman drama (won't use names, becuase I don't want to fuel the fire...I'll just call him Alderman). I'm trying to make it clear to everyone, that I want to put my money where my mouth is. I'm tired of everyone bitching about him, when they should be more active in the community. I understand the point that he is the elected official and is "required" to do community projects, but what is stopping the rest of us. It isn't required of us, but it would sure be nice if we helped! Some people just aren't getting this! So, I have taken over the Neighbors-Helping-Neighbors project and I think we have our first volunteer project...which involves chain saws, so I think Hubby will be willing to help (He loves using that thing...must be a macho guy thing). I have also sent an "olive branch" e-mail to Alderman volunteering my time with his projects as well. I am hoping that this will send a message to everyone who is still bitching about the whole thing. Since I was one of the ones spearheading his resignation petition. He won't resign...fine...I don't have to like the guy, but I will work with him to better the community. Isn't that the whole point anyway?

So I guess I will leave with that today. That kind of sums up what is happening around here. I did hit the library yesterday and got a few more simplicity books. I doubt they will be helpful, since they all say pretty much the same things, but I will check them out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.