Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Importance of Budgeting!

We have been working our home finances for months now without a budget. The results? Nothing at all is going into savings. Plus, the money I am working to save, I have no idea where it goes after I save it!

So another one of my goals today, is to set up a thorough home budget, which includes just about everything we need and also will include an unexpected expense category. I also plan to include savings at the top of the list, so each week, we have at least a small amount going into savings. Then I will also add any budget savings into the savings account. If I go to the grocery store, and I only spend $40 of my $60 budgeted, then the extra $20 will go right into the savings account.

Not only will it help us save more, but it will also get us more organized, so that every bill is paid ontime every month! Which is always a good feeling. I really need to take control of our financial situation a little bit better. So hubby and I are going to sit down tonight and work on our goals list. Add the wants that we do still want onto the goals lists, under short-term, mid-term and long-term goals (paying off the truck is going on this list)! Then we will have more of an incentive to work on saving money, if we have goals for that money, other than just financial security in case of emergency!

So, I have my day set for me...I have two MAJOR tasks to tackle today. These were both things that I have been putting off for awhile because they are larger, tougher tasks and will take me most of the day between the two!

1 comment:

Simple Mommy said...

Ok! That wasn't too bad. I feel so much more in control of my finances now. It only took me about an hour and a half to do everything, from making a budget form, gathering all my bills up (I am still missing a few for this month, just have to wait for them in the mail), and actually inputting the numbers and budgeting everything out.

I feel so much more in control it is amazing! I have been dreading doing it, but now it is done!

Also, went one more step and organized and filed everything we need! I was able to get rid of alot of the paper clutter too which is soooo liberating!