Tuesday, September 4, 2007

September Frugal Challenge - Grocery Budget

Ok, so for September I am going to work reallly hard to create and stick to a grocery budget! My challenge to myself this month is to cut my grocery budget in half! I have been really bad recently about not shopping at Aldi's, so I am going back to shopping at Aldi's and cooking "frugally".

I normally spend around $120 on groceries each week. This gives us some pretty good eats and keeps us from ordering food or going out to eat. My goal is to spend around $60 a week for the next month. This is to include all toiletries, dog food, cat food, bag lunches, etc. I also plan to not eat out at a restaurant for the entire month of September! For us, this will be a HUGE challange. But if I can do it, then I will save myself about $300 just for this month, which will be huge. I have so many other things I can use this money for!

Here is my menu list for the week:
Dinner
1. Bagel Dogs & French Fries
2. Homemade Chicken Soup & Biscuits
3. Cowboy beef stew
4. Meatball Subs & French Fries
5. Country Sausage & Potatoes
6. Chicken & Broccolli Casserole
7. Poor Man's Chicken

Lunch
Tuna Sandwiches
Cold Cut Sandwiches
Fruit Cups
Hard Boiled Eggs
Snack Crackers
Cookies

Breakfast
Weekday - Cereal
Weekend - Bacon & Eggs, French Toast

I need to get most of the ingredients for these dishes as well as Toilet Paper & Shampoo. I'm crossing my fingers that I can stay under my $60 budget. I'm headed to Aldi's, so I am hoping that I can do it! I will post a total when I return!

3 comments:

Simple Mommy said...

September Week 1:
Ok, so I am astounded by my oblivious overspending on groceries! I revamped my grocery list and menu and only bought the stuff we really NEEDED, and eliminated the stuff that we just WANTED.

Grand Total for 1 week of groceries: $31.95!!!!

Wow! I am amazed at how much I have been overspending!

Here is my revamped menu for the week:
Dinners:
1. Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup
2. Bagel Dogs & Fries
3. Chicken soup & biscuits
4. Cowboy Beef Stew
5. Meatball Subs & Fries
6. Country Sausage Bake
7. Ramen Noodles

Breakfast & Lunches are the same, except I substituted Cornbeef Hash for Bacon and saved $2!

Simple Mommy said...

Okay, so I still stayed within my budget for the week, but we did order out pizza last night. BUT...I did use a coupon at least!

So I blew one goal for the week, but at least I still stayed within my $60 budget, so I give myself credit for that.

I can make all the excuses that I want to, the kitchen was a mess, etc. But the fact of the matter was, I was just feeling lazy and pizza sounded so good! I need to get out of the instant gratification vice...NOW!

Simple Mommy said...

September Week 2-
I stayed within my budget this week and spent just over $54. I had to buy a few more "staples" this week, plus fresh fruits and veggies, so it was a bit more. I am working this week on eating a healthy, more vegan diet. So far so good, the more fruits and veggies I eat, the less crap I crave!

Here is our family menu for the week:
1. Grilled Cheese & Tom Soup
2. Turkey pot pie
3. Taco Tot Casserole
4. FOIL Dinners
5. Goulash and bread
6. Italian Chicken with green beans
7. Crock Pot BBQ Chicken & Potatoes

I plan on eating salads, I have several variations to keep it varied.

Lunches, snacks and breakfasts are about the same as last week. I added bagels & cream cheese for the kids and brownies instead of cookies for lunches.

But I still stayed within my budget!