Saturday, November 24, 2007

Turning something old into something new...



I love giving new life to things. Trash to treasure is definately one of my favorite pastimes. However, I'm one of those people that has to wait until the item speaks to me. Sometimes, I find an item that I know has great potental, just not sure what it is. So I wait...and sometimes I wait and wait and wait...until it tells me what it wants to become. Sounds silly, I'm sure.


But trash to treasure inspiration struck this morning. Since midsummer, I've had this small weird stool hanging around the house. I picked it up at a garage sale, and I didn't pay much for it, becuase I could see lots of potential in it. I just didn't know what it was.


Well, I finally decided to turn it into a jewelery box for my niece for Christmas. I have some really funky fabric, so I have been decopaging the fabric onto the top in a mosaic kind of a thing. It is turning out really cute! I have only part of the top done, and you can't see the full picture yet, but it is coming! I can see it transforming before my eyes! I think it will ultimately be really, really cute! The before & semi-after photos above show the top. The center I've left open, becuase it will have a raised black fabric covered personalization on it for my neice. Now, I am just waiting for it to dry so I can get it on. Then I'll be off to getting the sides done and the inside lined. Then, being that my niece is only 4, I'm going to fill it with plastic "play" jewlery for her! I think it is going to turn out to be a great gift for her!


And, it has gotten me inspired to look around the house at what else I picked up this summer that still needs to be transformed into something new. I have an old 3 step ladder that needs some work. I am getting a new couch and love seat soon, and will be rearranging the living room. I am thinking about painting it in colors matching the living room, then putting "cushions" on each step, with just some thin batting, so we can still use it to put things on....hmmmm....I think I may have just found another project! Ha! I'm gonna have to go check out fabric for the cushions at the store!

No comments: