Sunday, November 18, 2007

Going crafty for the Holidays...

Okay, so it has been a really long time since I have posted anything on this blog. But it is only because I have been so busy getting ready for the Holidays. I don't totally buy into the whole commercial aspect of the holidays...which makes sense, being that I am the "Simple Mommy". I would love to go whole hog into a "Buy Nothing Christmas" (BNC), and I have found tons of wonderful ideas on their website, but my extended family would probably have a fit, if they opened their gifts and found nothing of commercial value in them. To many of them, it wouldn't matter how much time or thought or effort was put into a gift, if it is under $20...they'd be insulted. Well, not everyone can be as enlightened as some of us, right?


That being said, I am purchasing one gift for everyone this year and trying to make it into something that they will really enjoy. Some will end up with giftcards, so I can save myself from shipping things across the country others will end up with things that I handpick for them, hoping that they are surprised and happy about how well I know what they love! I am really trying not to stress too much about purchasing the items for everyone. I have set a really strict budget that I plan to adhere too.


All the other gifts under our tree, will be handmade by me and the boys. I have started working on things and I also have a long list of ideas for everyone. Most people would think that this is totally stressful, but for me it has actually brought about a peaceful feeling. I have realized that I have lost touch with my inner artist. Taking on these projects has really brought out my creative side that I have lost touch with. And the funny thing is, even my hubby is looking at me differently. I finished a charcoal drawing today, and he just sat and smiled at me. I could see that my being happy and doing what I loved, made him a little bit happy too.


I thought I would post some of the projects that I have been working on:


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

These photos are a charcoal drawing that I finished today. This one isn't actually for the Holidays, this one I'll be keeping for myself! The original black and white photo was taken of my hubby's and first son's hands, when my son was a baby 6 years ago!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

These are a few of the handbags that I have made for the ladies in the family. I have several more, but just thought I would post a few that I already had photos loaded for!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This project was done in pastels and is for my hubby's Grandma. She is a collector of Rowe Pottery and even has a Rowe Pottery border in her kitchen, so I thought this would be a fun one to do, and I thought it would go great in her kitchen!

So, there are a few of the completed projects that I have. I have many more in the works, and have a bunch that I plan to include the kids in...so I will be posting more as I finish them prior to the holidays!

No comments: