Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Losing the fat...

Literally! Hubby and I switched to a new eating style recently, and it is doing wonders! We switched over to a low-carb, higher protein meal plan, and the results have shocked me! I have never tried any of the low-carb diets before, but hubby has. A few years ago, he did Adkins, and lost some weight, but had a hard time sticking to it, because back then, the diet was in its early days and VERY rigid. They have switched some things up and now it is very easy to stick too. We are not doing any of the "actual" diets, simply keeping our carb intake under 25, and keeping our protein at .4 grams per pound of body weight. Which is what we've found to be the "ideal" amounts for healthy weight loss. Now, we are still watching our total calories and total fat intakes as well. I don't believe in Adkins, when they say not to watch the fat content. It may not make you fat, but I still believe that it will cause other problems within the body!

I have a SEVERE sweet tooth, so I really thought this diet was not for me. Not being able to eat sugar, is like amputating my right arm. But, I've found that with some creativity, I can still satisfy my sweet tooth with little calories & carbs! It's amazing.

My top two favorite things for desserts are;

1. Sugar free jello cups! ~ With 5 calories per cup, no fat and no carbs, they are ideal! They provide me with just the thing I need at the end of the night, to get rid of my sugar cravings!

2. Sugar Free Rootbeer Floats ~ Yes!!!! You read that right! In order to get the protein that we need each day, we have added a protein powder to our diet. Hubby is also a huge Pepsi drinker, so he has had to curb his pop habit and has been bringing home a variety of diet pops to try out and see if he can find one that he likes. He has found that he really likes Diet Sprite, Diet 7 up and Diet A&W Rootbeer. Because we can't drink milk, because of the carb content, I have been adding the protein powder to things other than water, to see if I can enhance the taste. On a whim, I added it to Diet Rootbeer and whala! The Sugar Free Rootbeer floats were born. One scoop of protein powder added to a bottle of diet rootbeer is amazing! With 110 calories, 2 carbs, and no fat...it is the best dessert I have ever found! We have already added 2 scoops of protein powder into our daily calorie counts, so we can add the rootbeer, instead of water and we have no added calories and a great snack/dessert! I'm so happy that I tried it.

We are doing really well, and I am proud of us. We ordered an elliptical machine, and it will be here within the next week. I am already starting to notice a huge difference in my body, with the fat coming off, I can't even imagine what is going to happen when I start using the elliptical machine!

I am tracking my weight & measurements and have also taken before pictures. If I get brave at some point, I may add some before and after photos for everyone to see! But I am still aways off from that! I only have 17 pounds to go though!

No comments: