Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Resin Cast Pendants




These are kind of hard to see, but they turned out okay. I tried to add a photograph to the bead, and add a fabric background instead of painted background. The photos slipped around quite a bit, so I've learned that you need to do this type of cast in at least 3 layers. So, today, I am going to try some more. I want to do a 50's themed, B&W photo necklace. So I am heading to library to find some b&w retro photos, that will fit into my casts. I have already poured the first layer or resin, that will be the clear liner that sits on the top of the pendant. After that dries, I will coat the photo in resin, then lay it in exactly how I want it. This should keep the photo from slipping around in the cast. Once that is semi dry or at least tacky, I will add another layer on top, then put a resin coated fabric backing on it. I think I will use the same fabric I used on these pendants, becuase I think it will look good with b&w photos. Then I will sand the edges, drill out the holes for mounting it to a beaded necklace (with black beads), then coat with a high gloss sealer, just to give it some shine. Although, I will probably have to take pictures before I put the gloss on it, because I can't seem to get good pictures of anything with a high gloss. I like these, they are just very ameture looking. I'd like to perfect my craft a bit.

So hopefully, in another 24 -48 hours, the 50's retro necklace will be done and I can post some pictures of it!

No comments: